Friday, September 22, 2006

Pablo Neruda

Pablo Neruda (1904 – 1973) is one hell of a guy. A poet, a senator, a communist activist, a guerilla fighter, a Nober Prize winner and above all: a lover. Could you ask for more from one man? Enough on Neruda, you know where to look if you want to find out more. Here’s a popular poem by this great poet – one of my fave.

Sonnet XVII

I don't love you as if you were the salt-rose, or topaz,
or arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
So I love you because I don't know any other way.

Than this: where I does not exist nor you
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

***

3 comments:

amusing candygirl said...

kalau baca gini, elu terkesan romantis euy..
sebagai salah satu favorit, dah pernah diekspresikan dong ke maminya yuka he.he..

boyke rahardian said...

pernah nggak ya? ekspresi yang 'tangible' lebih dihargai sih...he he

amusing candygirl said...

haha.. gue bilangin yaa.. dia dah baca blog elu blum ?